SmoothWheel - Home page
Install Feedback/Comments/Contact Screenshots Changelog
Some usability Bookmarklets
- 2013-05-19: Firefox 21 fix.
- 2012-02-01: Slight bump in update to Firefox 10 - Fixed.
- 2010-10-01: Site in maintenance untill further notice.
- 2010-04-12: Added Tekzilla's review
- 2010-02-03: Web site cleanups
- 2010-02-02: New version - 0.45.6
What is SmoothWheel?Smoothwheel is an addon for Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey, which scrolls the page smoothly when scrolling the mouse wheel (or keyboard arrows if enabled). It works on all platforms supported by these applications.
SmoothWheel is also compatible with ChatZilla, Songbird, Flock, KompoZer, Prism, XUL Runner, and few deprecated applications. However, maintenance of these compatibilities may be less frequent.
SmoothWheel offers an enhanced and configurable version of the built in smooth-scroll. It uses some unique algorithms for smoothness and dynamic behavior (scrolls fast or slow by trying to anticipate the intention). Looks somewhat like the credits at the end of a movie, but controlled by scrolling the mouse wheel as one normally does. Works with text-boxes and drop-down boxes too.
Why?- Faster navigation within long web pages (dynamic scroll distance).
- Less disorientation when scrolling, especially with long texts (fluid scroll).
- Reading while scrolling is actually possible.
- No learning curve - unaltered interaction, but more useful outcome.
- Very customizable, sane defaults.
- Fun, Addictive - may trigger an emotional response, beware ;)
What does it look like?
Latest Version: v0.45.8 (2013-05-19) - Install now
Mini Changelog (Full changelog):
v0.45.8: Firefox 21 compatibility fix, better animation, less CPU.
v0.45.4-6: Less scroll errors, smoother, few more options (refresh-rates, speed), keyboard shortcut to enable/disable, improved scroll in full page zoom, better Songbird support, many small refinements.
v0.44.16-19: Added Prism, fixed SongBird, fixed horizontal scroll (FX3.1+, SM2.0+), improved soft edge, Flock 2+, Firefox 3.6+, Keep prefs on upgrade, Comply with new AMO requirements, Icon, slight modifier improvements.
Feedback neededAny bug reports, suggestion, other comments, etc will be appreciated. Please post your feedback on the comments page.
Thanks for your help, and enjoy using SmoothWheel.